When it comes to looking good, some say people have their peaks. For most, that age is 27. After that, our perception of beauty changes. In particular, we care less about how we physically appear.
But we must also not forget that, in the end, age is just a number. This means that your concept of what makes you beautiful doesn’t have to disappear or even decline. It can evolve, yes, but you can still keep it with you with these ideas:
1. Dye Your Hair
Besides the aching joints, nothing else seems to signify official aging than gray hair. This normal process happens because the hair follicles gradually lose their melanin, the pigment responsible for the color.
While some embrace it, many feel uncomfortable and even sad. If you feel the latter, then here’s some good news for you. For a good number, the color of the hair strands can still return to the original.
But even if it doesn’t, you can still do plenty of things to bring the hair back to its former glory. The easiest is to dye it! Go to your salon and get a touch-up on your roots. Ask them to add highlights if you want, which can help create silhouettes and even volume.
Seeing your hairstylist often can help prevent other “hairy” problems. These include hair loss, which affects 80 percent of 70-year-old men.
2. Invest in Excellent Skincare
Let’s be clear: your skin will bear the brunt of aging. No amount of beauty products can prevent wrinkles, fine lines, and sunspots from appearing. However, you can delay them from showing up as much as possible.
Here are some skincare products you can incorporate into your routine now:
- Retinol – It’s a vitamin A derivative. Vitamin A is great for your skin because it stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, both of which form strong fibers that keep the skin from sagging.
- Moisturizer – It keeps the skin hydrated, preventing dryness and itchiness common among menopausal women. This also negates fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin conditions by helping the skin remain supple by removing the skin’s barrier.
- Face mask – This is great for deep cleaning your face, especially after a long day at work or during your free time. It can also help absorb excess oil, which increases the risk of acne.
- Sunscreen – This should probably be the easiest skincare product for you. After all, it’s just protecting your skin from harmful rays that cause pigmentation, which leads to age spots.
3. Increase Your Physical Movement
If you can do only one thing to make yourself feel and look good, it’s physical activity. Increasing your movement’s pace and frequency provides your body and mind with a host of benefits:
- It strengthens the joints, muscles, and bones. This then decreases the chances of getting severe injuries such as fractures and improves posture and mobility.
- Exercise boosts brain function and mood.
- It saves you from cardiovascular issues like obesity, high cholesterol, and heart disease. All these can age you rapidly.
Granted, not everyone can do high-intensity interval training (HIIT) or even brisk-walk due to many factors. Well, no worries. If you’re in a senior assisted living facility, the staff can help you move around more. In case you don’t know, natural movements such as standing or washing the dishes also count!
4. Say Goodbye to Stress
If there’s anything that ages you, it’s stress. Studies show that people whose jobs are high-stress suffer more from heart problems than those with low-stressed roles. And the dangers of stress come not just from work but also anywhere you feel pressured or intimidated.
Why does this happen? The answer is cortisol, the hormone released whenever the body feels stressed. Cortisol isn’t completely bad. It’s what keeps you alert and focused in the morning. It manages your metabolism and blood sugar levels.
However, too much stress can trigger the body to make more of it. In turn, you experience an opposite effect: weight gain, chronic inflammation, skin problems – you name it!
At your age, you don’t need to sweat the small stuff. Rather, enjoy your life and have fun! You’re never too old to go through more pleasurable experiences.
As you age, your body naturally goes through the usual wear and tear. That’s okay. You’re not alone in this situation, and everybody will go through the same thing.
But it doesn’t mean you can put feeling good on the back burner. Give yourself that extra oomph – both physically and mentally – by following these simple steps.