Did you know that the average person takes between 17,000 and 23,000 breaths a day? That’s a lot of air! And it’s essential to make sure that all of those breaths are healthy ones. If you don’t take care of your lungs, you could be at risk for several problems, including lung cancer, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.
But don’t worry — there are plenty of ways to protect your lungs and keep them healthy. Here are the top 5 ways to protect your lungs and give them clean and healthy air.
1. Avoid Secondhand Smoke and Other Pollutants
Secondhand smoke and other pollutants can have a severe impact on your lungs. Smoke from cigarettes, pipes, and cigars contains over 7,000 chemicals, including 70 known carcinogens. These chemicals can damage the cells in your lungs, leading to health problems like lung cancer, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.
In addition to avoiding secondhand smoke, you should also avoid exposure to other pollutants, including air pollution, dust, and chemical fumes. One of the best ways to prevent exposure to contaminants is to wear a face mask that is biodegradable, especially when traveling or in a heavily polluted area.
The most common air pollution you need to avoid is smog, which is created when emissions from cars, trucks, factories, and power plants react with sunlight. For example, Los Angeles has some of the worst smog in the country, and people living there are at a much higher risk of developing lung cancer and other respiratory problems.
If you can’t avoid being in a heavily polluted area, make sure to take frequent breaks and get some fresh air. And if you’re traveling, try to choose destinations with good air quality.
2. Protect Your Lungs With a Healthy Diet
One of the best ways to protect your lungs is to eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet is high in nutrition, which can help not only support but also protect the lungs.
Some examples of foods and drinks that have been shown to benefit lung function include:
- Fatty fish
- Dark leafy greens
- Olive oil
You need to avoid eating or drinking too much sugar, saturated fat, and processed foods, which can hurt lung health. A healthy diet protects your lungs by providing them with the nutrients they need to function correctly.
3. Exercise Regularly
Exercising regularly is another great way to protect your lungs. Exercise helps keep your lungs healthy by strengthening them and allowing them to function better. Exercise helps improve your overall health and reduces your risk of developing many lung problems.
Some standard breathing exercises include yoga and Pilates, which help improve lung function. In addition, any aerobic exercise (like running, cycling, or swimming) is excellent for your lungs. Be sure to consult with your doctor before starting a new exercise program, especially if you have a history of respiratory problems.
4. Get Vaccinated for Respiratory Diseases
Many respiratory diseases can be prevented with vaccination. Some of the most common respiratory disorders include the flu, pneumonia, and whooping cough.
- The flu is a highly contagious viral respiratory illness that can cause severe illness and even death. Each year, the flu causes millions of people to get sick and thousands to die.
- Pneumonia is a severe and sometimes deadly lung infection that can cause coughing, chest pain, shortness of breath, and fever. It is the leading cause of death from disease in the United States, and each year it kills over 50,000 people. Many viruses or bacteria can cause pneumonia, and it can be treated with antibiotics. However, the best way to prevent pneumonia is by getting vaccinated.
- Whooping cough (pertussis) is a highly contagious bacterial respiratory illness that can cause severe coughing fits, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. It can be deadly in young children, and each year it kills thousands of them.
The best way to prevent all these respiratory diseases is by getting vaccinated.
5. Keep Up With Your Doctor’s Appointments to Monitor Lung Health
Your doctor is the best person to monitor your lung health and catch any potential problems early. By keeping up with your regular appointments, your doctor will be able to track your progress and make sure that your lungs are functioning correctly.
If any problems are identified, your doctor can recommend treatment options early. To make the most out of your visit, it’s a good idea to come prepared with a list of questions.
The lung is a vital organ of our body, and its proper functioning is required for overall health. Hence, you need to protect your lungs for good overall health. The list given in this article consists of the best ways to do that. But there are several more ways you can protect your lungs.